The FIX 4.2 specification includes numerous enhancements beyond FIX 4.1.
Major changes in FIX 4.2 include:
- Enhancements to better support exchanges and ECNs (Market Data, Security Definition and Status, Trading Session Status, etc.)
- Program/Basket Trading support
- “Mass quoting” support for equity options
- Support for Japanese requirements (Japanese character sets, order handling, and allocation support)
- Enhanced foreign exchange capability
- Fixed Income IOI capability for High Yield and High Grade corporate bonds
- Order pre-allocation functionality.
- Other enhancements and clarifications
The Errata contains a list of minor adjustments to the FIX 4.2 Specification document due to typographical errors or ambiguities. The nature and scope of these adjustments do not introduce new functionality or new messages. Unlike previous errata for previous releases of FIX, new fields were introduced to address specific omissions that resulted in preventing usage of messages. All of the items specified in this document are considered part of the standard FIX 4.2 release. The list of items has been reviewed and approved by the FIX Global Technical Committee (GTC). This FIX 4.2 Errata 20010501 is considered the current version of the FIX 4.2 specification.
Implementers of FIX version 4.2 should base their implementations on this errata release, referring to the FIX 4.2 Specification document with Errata 20010501 to ensure the most consistent implementation and clearest understanding of the FIX protocol.